argue with better??

4faces

Korea
Hi all,

Here's a whole paragraph from an article I was reading.
Still, with the specter dangling before us of offices in which employees need constant head-patting, who can really argue with better acquainting kids with the value of hard work rather than gushing over their supposed genius? Especially because by definition most kids can't be in the tippy top of academic or athletic or musical achievement, which means we're lying to them when we insist otherwise, a deception that they will surely sniff out. For all those parents who respond to every instance of their children's mediocrity by insisting on their brilliance (and by blaming teachers and coaches for not recognizing it): Listen to Carol Dweck, and cut it out.
1. Regarding the first underlined part, could someone tell me what it means? To me, the sentence structure doesn't seem just right, especially "argue with better acquainting" part. Please enlighten me.

2. What is a tippy top? I couldn't find it in any dictionary.

(To see the article, go to http://www.slate.com/id/2165995/pagenum/all/)

Thanks in advance.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Oh my! That's not the best writing you are likely to find.

"...who can really argue with better acquainting kids with the value of hard work..."
    ~ Who can honestly dispute that making kids better acquainted with/more aware of the value of hard work....

Tippy top= colloquial way of saying top

< Previous | Next >