arid and bald peace

Japutra

Russian - Ukraine
Is there any meaning in it? Maybe there is some allusion to something?

I could perhaps understand it if it were "arid peace" alone.

Coralio is in tropics, it's hot there. But what bald can mean here?

Peace reigned in Coralio--arid and bald peace; but still peace.

From Cabbages and Kings by O Henry (part 11.The Remnants of the Code)

See full text here:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/henry/henry.html

• teksch

English - American
    Is there any meaning in it? Maybe there is some allusion to something?

I could perhaps understand it if it were "arid peace" alone.

Coralio is in tropics, it's hot there. But what bald can mean here?
    The sense I get from reading the context is that an “arid and bald peace” means a peace that, while there is no ongoing strife, has not matured into a full peace. Arid indicates a dryness – a thing or place where nothing can grow (peace in this case). Bald is analogous to arid in the sense that nothing is growing. Anchuria is also called a volatile republic with imminent chances of a revolution. In the opening chapter there is much discussion of the political unrest in the country. From all of this, I assume that the author’s use of an “arid and bald peace” pointed to this political instability.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Both words are used figuratively. Arid- lacking what is needed to support life. Bald- naked, lacking healthy signs of anything alive and growing. The peace is superficial. It's more towards armed neutrality than peaceful and friendly relations among former adversaries.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Both words are used figuratively. Arid- lacking what is needed to support life. Bald- naked, lacking healthy signs of anything alive and growing. The peace is superficial. It's more towards armed neutrality than peaceful and friendly relations among former adversaries.
    That would make sense. There is superficial peace, but this does not necessarily mean that there is any degree of amity. Like marriage.

< Previous | Next >