arme (figuré)

funky_lem

English - Australia
Hello,

This is a line from an interview with Juliette Binoche, who is speaking about her visit to Sarajevo to film the movie 'Breaking and Entering' ('Par effraction'), and the research she did to perform her role. She says:

"J'ai regardé beaucoup de documentaires, qui étaient également leurs armes. Toutes ces vidéos qui ne coûtent pas chères et qui permettent de témoigner de l'horreur."

I am stuck on translating "armes". I originally had "weapons" but I don't think that's correct. A French dictionary said "dans un sens figuré, moyen d'action" but I can't seem to translate that either, other than "means of action", which seems a bit vague...?

Merci d'avance pour vos idées.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    I suspect it indeed means "weapons" in the sense you have identified. A rough equivalent commonly used in English could be "way of speaking up" or "way of being heard" or something along those lines.

Reliure

Hi funky_lem,
    "J'ai regardé beaucoup de documentaires, qui étaient également leurs armes. Toutes ces vidéos qui ne coûtent pas chères et qui permettent de témoigner de l'horreur."
    According to me in that sentence "armes" can be heard as : " moyen de défense" / "moyen de pression" / "force".
    But I don't know how the last one sounds in English.

Hope this helps...

< Previous | Next >