armloadful

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, I read this article and puzzled by the use of armloadful:

When you are a sous chef you are Middle Management. You are between a rock and a hard place. You have a little power, but not all of it. You have a dash of authority, and maybe a pinch, but rarely an armloadful.
I can't find any definition of this word and plus I'm not sure if it's written by native-English speakers. Do you know what it means in this context?

• egremoq

England / English
    Literally it means the quantity of anything you can carry in your arms (compare eg handful). Figuratively it just means a lot of something; here it is used humorously to contrast with dash and pinch which are very small quantities.

oiseauxlahaut

English & Hebrew
    That's an odd word. It's like saying "handful", but for a bigger quantity. Having an armload of something is having a lot of it, but it's not commonly used (you'll hear "a handful of people", but not "an armload of people")

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    So in this context it means the same as bucketful, shedful, wheelbarrow-ful - we have a certain fondness for such terms.

ewie

English English
    Does it not strike anyone else as a bit (ooh what's that word?) tautologous :)confused:)?
    An armload is already two full arms; adding a -ful doesn't really make it any fuller.

Loob

English UK
    I agree, ewie.

It looks to me like a conflation of armload and armful....

< Previous | Next >