Army turkey

veebee77

Italian
Hello everybody!
Does anybody possibly know what an "army turkey" might be?
Here's the whole sentence (referring to a dog):

"he had a head the size of an army turkey and the body of a burro"

Thanks a million in advance for your help!

• airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    Do you have any context or background? What work is the sentence from and who wrote it? Who is describing the dog? Without any other information, all I can suggest is that it could refer to the Salvation Army frozen turkeys given away during the holidays.

veebee77

Italian
    First of all, thanks for your reply, airportzombie!
    The person who's describing the dog is its trainer, and unfortunately I don't have any background information to offer... just that the dog is a Newfoundland, so it is indeed VERY big.
    I did some research, of course, and I myself had bumped into some links referring to these "Salvation Army turkeys", but I didn't know what to do with that piece of information :)
    Well, many thanks for now!

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello everybody!
    Does anybody possibly know what an "army turkey" might be?
    Here's the whole sentence (referring to a dog):

"he had a head the size of an army turkey and the body of a burro"

Thanks a million in advance for your help!
    Who is writing, Veebee? I don't see why it should be a Salvation Army turkey rather than an ordinary army turkey, on the face of it. Unless we know a bit more about the writer, it's hard to be sure.

veebee77

Italian
    Hi Thomas, thanks for your contribution!
    The writer is a famous dog trainer, Steve Duno.
    I don't know much about him, so I can't say whether he chose that image, as opposed to any other possible image, for a particular reason.

I might add that he later uses this other image:

"He plowed his way through like an Abrams tank"

But I don't think that there's necessarily a connection with the military world. It's just that this kind of images are rather effective, when one has to describe a big animal, I guess.

Maybe the author just wanted to tell the reader that the dog's head was really huge, and he decided to do that by comparing it to a turkey? But then again, why an "army" one? Does it differ from your average turkey?
    Thanks again

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thank you, Veebee,

Well that at least tells us that he's writing AE and he's not shy of using military images.

The army has a lot of people to feed, so if they order a turkey, already often a large bird, they order an enormous one, I imagine.

< Previous | Next >