Arndale Centre weren't built in a day

< Previous | Next >

hard to get named

Chinese
dialog as follows,
MAN: why are you so late? i said 8:00.
WOMAN: i am sorry, but it takes time to get dressed up so beautifully. You know, Arndale Centre weren't built in a day.
MAN:Yeah, and with half as much plaster.
here in this conversation, what does plaster mean? i guess it is some kind of pun, please kindly explain.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think the man means that the woman is wearing a lot of make-up, especially makeup that covers her skin. He saying it is like the plaster used to covering the surface of the Arndale Centre and make it look nice. Does that make sense in the context?

Where did you see this?

Note: 'weren't built' is non-standard. In standard English it would be "Arndale Centre wasn't built in a day."
    The man is speaking some sort of dialect.

hard to get named

Chinese
    I think the man means that the woman is wearing a lot of make-up, especially makeup that covers her skin. He saying it is like the plaster used to covering the surface of the Arndale Centre and make it look nice. Does that make sense in the context?

Where did you see this?

Note: 'weren't built' is non-standard. In standard English it would be "Arndale Centre wasn't built in a day."
    The man is speaking some sort of dialect.
    thank you very much, it does make sense now. this is from the script of the 1998 movie Little Voice . and yes, there is loads of slangs and dialect(p.s. lots of vulgar language too)in that film, so difficult for me to translate it.

< Previous | Next >