Arnold’s Rugby

< Previous | Next >

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
Dear all!
What is the exact meaning of "Arnold’s Rugby" in the following passage? It is from the book “Persian Gulf Command” by Ashley Jackson, p. 89.

The British Embassy stood on the west bank of the Tigris, its gardens set about with buddleia, hibiscus and pomegranate. ‘Passing through the gates in the high wall,’ wrote John Masters, ‘I entered Arnold’s Rugby, with rooks cawing in immemorial elms and chestnut trees spreading their gaunt branches across gravelled paths.

Many thanks in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Presumably, the Rugby (School) of (the time of) Matthew Arnold. Arnold attended Rugby, and his father was headmaster there.

Andygc

British English
    Not quite. He entered an environment that was, by the choice of trees planted, its rooks and its gravel paths, very reminiscent of Rugby School. After all, Rugby is nowhere near the Tigris. :)

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Not quite. He entered an environment that was, by the choice of trees planted, its rooks and its gravel paths, very reminiscent of Rugby School. After all, Rugby is nowhere near the Tigris. :)
    I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that I understood this. I was focused on explaining to the OP who Arnold was and what Rugby was, presuming that if they understood this, they would understand that the embassy grounds were "reminiscent" of Rugby and that Masters had not somehow been transported from Baghdad back to England.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Presumably, the Rugby (School) of (the time of) Matthew Arnold. Arnold attended Rugby, and his father was headmaster there.
    ...and particularly well-known from the novel Tom Brown's School Days by Thomas Hughes, set at that time, and including the real Dr Thomas Arnold as headmaster in among the fictional characters.

Have you any particular reason for thinking it is Matthew Arnold that is being referred to here, rather than Thomas Arnold?

< Previous | Next >