aromatic mustard

< Previous | Next >
  • reno33

English - USA
    That's an open-ended question....there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of sentences you might say.

Can you change your mustard? What kind of mustard are you using.? Do you have another brand of mustard? etc etc.

suzi br

English / England
    I was at a restaurant the other day and was disappointed of the mustard they had. What can I say next time?
    Could you please put some extraordinarily aromatic mustard on my schnitzel?
    Could you please garnish my schnitzel with some exquisite mustard?
    No. They sound daft.
    Better / stronger / different.
    That’s the type of word you might use at a takeaway joint!

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    It's not a takeaway joint, it's an expensive 5***** resto.
    It doesn't matter. While I would not concur with suzi in saying that your suggestions sound daft, that is only because I am an American and we never use the word "daft". I completely concur with her sentiment, and I must tell you very frankly that asking for "exquisite mustard"or "extraordinarily aromatic mustard" is so ludicrous that it would try the practiced reserve of even the best restaurant's servers. Regardless of the price or quality of the food (or of the tablecloths on which it is served), you should simply ask for stronger mustard.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Ok.
    I don’t know why I thought it was a takeaway joint. Mostly cos that’s where you see pots of “stuff” to enliven their food.

I still think your suggestions will not work.

“Stronger” might not cut it, if it’s subtlety rather than heat you’re after.
    “Better” would cover it.

In the UK we are sometimes asked “French or English?” English mustard is hotter, French/Dijon mustard is milder. You can buy mustards enhanced with leek (Welsh style) or horseradish in the UK which have subtle differences in flavour but are not necessarily “stronger”.

< Previous | Next >