around 8 a.m. to between 2 and 4 p.m.

chiarel

Italian
In a trekking guide, the author gives a tip:
Hike early and late (around 8 a.m. to between 2 and 4 p.m.), as these are the most beautiful times of the day.

The advice is clear: hike early and late. But I'm not sure of the hours he recommends!
If "early" for a hike is around 8 a.m., "late" is at 2-4 p.m.? Or maybe early is at 8 a.m.-2 p.m. and late is after 4 p.m? I don't understand. Maybe something is missing?
Ch.

• Barque

Tamil
    If "early" for a hike is around 8 a.m., "late" is at 2-4 p.m.?
    Yes, that's the impression I get.

Which part of the world does that advice refer to, and at what time of the year? Perhaps it gets dark not very long after after 4 pm and so it's considered late in the day.

Chez

English English
    It means start your walk at around 8am OR take your walk between 2 and 4pm.

It is not a completely well-balanced statement as you might expect to see e.g. Hike between 8 and 10am OR between 2 and 4pm, but that is the meaning – he just doesn't mention an 'end time' to the morning period he is suggesting.

chiarel

Italian
    Thank you very much, Chez and Barque!
    (For the record, the part in the world is Patagonia and the time of the year is November to April)

Barque

Tamil
    the part in the world is Patagonia and the time of the year is November to April)
    I suppose that'd be summer and autumn there. I'm surprised to hear 2-4 pm described as late; I'd expect it to be light till much later in the day. But perhaps there's some other reason.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It makes no sense. The times don't make sense and the connecting words don't make sense.

around 8 a.m. to between ?

Added:
    Here's a link to sunrise and sunset times in Ushuaia, Tierra del Diego. The sun goes down around 10:10 pm on the longest day of the year, but twilight lasts longer of course. I don't see how 2-4 qualifies as early or late.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    It makes no sense. The times don't make sense and the connecting words don't make sense.

around 8 a.m. to between ?

Added:
    Here's a link to sunrise and sunset times in Ushuaia, Tierra del Diego. The sun goes down around 10:10 pm on the longest day of the year, but twilight lasts longer of course. I don't see how 2-4 qualifies as early or late.
    I agree entirely.

The suggestion of hiking early and late is a good one; I can never get myself out of the house early, so I almost invariably favour late, which today meant setting off a little before midday and aiming to get down off the hills a little before sunset, which is about 8:30 pm at the moment where I live. Today I was in very good time and back at the car at 7:30 pm. In the summer I'll often be out till 10 pm or so, with the hills all to myself. :)

However, in the context, 8 am is hardly early. If I wanted the early light I'd be out at six, and I imagine in Patagonia in the Summer, I might choose a 4 am start to get the most out of the morning light.

Quite honestly, I cannot make anything of the times given in the original post.

< Previous | Next >