around a coffee hearth

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by lizy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. lizy Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Morning. I'm having some problems with this "coffee hearth" this morning.

After that Mohammed served thick aromatic coffe, and the group sat around the coffee hearth chatting.

Is it a sort of coffee-maker or coffee pot? Or does it have a metahorical meaning and it is what we call "sentarse (a hablar, etc.) alrededor de un café"?

Thank you very much.

2. Lizajoy Senior Member

Spain
    US English
    Hola Lizy,

Me parece que podria referirse al fuego, o la candela donde se ha preparado el cafe.

Un saludo,

Lizajoy

3. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
  4. lizy Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Gracias a los dos, Lizajoy y Masood.

5. begoña fernandez Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain - Spanish
    Hearth es una chimenea baja.

slaudos
    BF

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hola Lizy...

This may help a little:

"The majlis, or reception-room, was characterized in the older houses by the presence of a coffee hearth in one corner. This little plastered dais on the floor served as a platform for the charcoal or wood fire which heated the coffee pots, and here the host or hostess squatted to grind the coffee beans or husks in a mortar and to serve the guests. Behind, in the corner of the walls, were niches specially shaped to take the pestle and mortar, the charcoal box and the cups, and one niche had a lockable door so that the precious ingredients could be kept safely. The function of the coffee hearth was subsequently replaced by a large brass or silver tray kept prep...."
    source: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:WQ_G8py_BT0J:www.shibamonline.net/eng/wadi12.php++%22+coffee+hearth%22&hl=en%20target=nw

Un saludo,
    Cuchu

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
  8. Lizajoy Senior Member

Spain
    US English
    How pretty it is! I´d like to have one for myself...

Lizajoy

9. lizy Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Thank you very much, Cuchuflete. Your posts have been most useful.