arrêt au puits (management)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by bernardette, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bernardette Senior Member

USA, English
    I understand this means "pit stop" in racing parlance, but it doesn't seem to fit the context I have it in, so I am wondering if it can mean something else.

It is the heading of a descriptive of a leadership training module:

UN ARRÊT AU PUITS

Être un leader performant

Favoriser la synergie

etc.

Just doesn't seem to make sense here.

2. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    In motor racing in French a pit stop is usually called un arrêt ravitaillement or even un pit stop (this could be a googlygook translation of the word)

3. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    It might just be that it is a reference to the 'Good Old Days' when the women of the village went the well to draw water and met each other for a good chat, as if they weren't already doing that at the lavoir. But I'm not at all sure the management gurus would know anything about that.

4. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    As franc says, in motor racing it's "ravitaillement", or even more commonly in races where you don't refuel, "arrêt au stand". Besides, "pit" in the general sense usually translates as fosse, not puits (except in mines).

However, two thoughts cross my mind:
    - Leadership training could indeed be seen as a metaphorical pit-stop: you 'refuel', replace or make adjustments to your 'equipment', so that you perform better.
    - Is it possible that "Arrêt au puits" could be Québécois? It has that sort of ring to it. (Now I wait for all the Canadians to shout "Quoi?!" at me.;))

[Edit]: I just Googled "Arrêt au puits", and did find several instances of it referring to a pit-stop (none particularly Canadian!) — but, as a fairly keen follower of motor sports (with French commentaries), I've honestly never heard it before.

Ws:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    You were right to cross the ocean, Wordsmyth, if this is the context. The metaphor is clearly that of a car race.

6. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Well found, JDS. That definitely confirms the meaning in bernardette's case.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily expect an organisational psychologist to be familiar with motor-racing terminology, but maybe it is a Canadian expression after all.

Ws:)