arrange – set up, line up, fix up

< Previous | Next >

Neitzel553

Paakantyi
There seem to be quite a few expressions for "arrange", ranging in formality and probably in terms of how widely used they are. I'd appreciate it if you could help me wrap my head around the differences and nuances

Line up is defined as "to prepare, organize or arrange (for) something; have someone or something ready or prepared."
I've noticed it's used in certain ways where you couldn't replace it with set up, especially in the passive, or in a sort of causative sentence, or where their meanings don't really overlap.
-- Do you have any work lined up?
-- We’ve lined up some excellent speakers for tonight

Set up doesn't seem to work here. But in the following cases, do you detect any difference in meaning? Do both of them work? Which one sounds "more" right? Which one would you be more likely to use?
-- Bob Dylan is lining up/setting up a two-week U.K. tour for the New Year.
-- I've lined up/set up a meeting with them for tomorrow morning.
-- There was a lot of work involved in setting up/lining up the festival.

And then there's fix up. Do you frequently use this - as compared to set up, maybe? Are they complete synonyms (when meaning "arrange", that is), and is there any difference in the way they're used?
Also, do Americans use this? (it sounds like a British phrase to me)
We’ll have to fix up a time to meet
-- Perhaps we can fix up a meeting for next week
-- I went to the bank to fix up a loan

Thank you in advance.

<---Number of example sentences reduced by moderator (Copyright), and bolding added for ease of reading--->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    In your examples in the set up section, I would only use “set up” (not “line up”).

But you’ve given perfectly good usage examples for each synonym of arrange, suggesting that you already know how they’re used. It’s difficult to know what else to say about it!

Last edited:

Neitzel553

Paakantyi
    what about fix up? Do you use that as a synonym for set up or arrange?

We’ll have to fix up a time to meet
    -- Perhaps we can fix up a meeting for next week
    -- I went to the bank to fix up a loan

lingobingo

English - England
    Fix up a meeting is certainly idiomatic. But it’s true that there are other uses of “fix up”.

For example, to fix someone up with something (i.e. procure something for them):

I can fix you up with a good used car if you can’t afford a new one.
    I couldn’t believe it — he offered to fix me up with his sister!
    Or to mend something or put it right:

Don’t worry. We’ll fix the place up before you move in.
    The bike doesn’t go at the moment, but I’m planning to fix it up and then sell it.​

< Previous | Next >