arrange the goods for a vessel

< Previous | Next >

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
Hi,

when you use "arrange" as a meaning of reserving a vessel for shipment, which of below is correct?
Or all of them are right?

1) arrange the goods for a vessel
2) arrange for a vessel
3) arrange a vessel.

Thanks.

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    (2) is the closest. After "arrange" you use "for" and a verb clause. For example:

" arrange for the goods to be shipped on a boat."

"Arrange for a vessel" by itself means to reserve the entire boat. Unless it is a small river-boat, that is terribly expensive.

You can also say "arrange shipment (of the goods) (by boat, by airplane)"

"Arrange a/the <noun>" as in 1,3 means something different: to move things around into a new pattern ("arrangement").

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Thanks for your explanation. dojibear

by the way, I 've seen a sentence written by Amercia Company customer as follows.
    " please send the booking details for PO#1234 so that I can work on arranging the goods for a vessel leaving for the following weekend"
    Here, it seems " arrange the goods for a vessel" used, do you think this structure is something bad or is it a different case with above 1)2)3) cases?

Thanks.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Where did you see this sentence? What is the source? Do you work for "Amercia Company"? Or is this a book or online example sentence?

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Where did you see this sentence? What is the source? Do you work for "Amercia Company"? Or is this a book or online example sentence?
    Thanks for your asking, No, I am not working for America company, but our couterpart is America company and I 've seen this sentence from our counterpart 's email sentences.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Thanks for explaining the situation, Brandonkim. It helps me understand.

by the way, I 've seen a sentence written by Amercia Company customer as follows.
    " please send the booking details for PO#1234 so that I can work on arranging the goods for a vessel leaving for the following weekend"
    Here, it seems " arrange the goods for a vessel" used, do you think this structure is something bad or is it a different case with above 1)2)3) cases?

Thanks.
    The writer is probably not a native AE speaker, but his AE is very good, and his meaning is clear, so I would accept it. "Leaving for" is incorrect. "Vessel" is not common, but "cargo vessel" is a common term for "cargo ship" so he must mean that.

To make it perfect AE, I would write the sentence with these small changes:

Please send the booking details for PO#1234 so that I can work on arranging for the goods for to be shipped on a vessel leaving for the following weekend.

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Thanks for explaining the situation, Brandonkim. It helps me understand.

The writer is probably not a native AE speaker, but his AE is very good, and his meaning is clear, so I would accept it. "Leaving for" is incorrect. "Vessel" is not common, but "cargo vessel" is a common term for "cargo ship" so he must mean that.

To make it perfect AE, I would write the sentence with these small changes:

Please send the booking details for PO#1234 so that I can work on arranging for the goods for to be shipped on a vessel leaving for the following weekend.
    Thanks a lot for your correction.

< Previous | Next >