arranged bribes to overlook

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

The sentence below is my own:

The companies arranged bribes and favours for federal agricultural inspectors and politicians to overlook unsanitary practices, falsify documentation and secure certification for products.

Can I say that a company arranged bribes to overlook (...), is it grammatically correct?

• Copyright

American English
    Your version leaves out the person you're bribing. There's no one overlooking.

You can say: The company arranged bribes to get their drugs into the country.

Leafka

Polish
    Yes, of course, sorry! I shortened my sentence badly. The original:

The companies arranged bribes and favours for federal agricultural inspectors and politicians to overlook unsanitary practices.

It is the companies that overlooked unsanitary practices.

Is this OK?

manfy

German - Austria
    The companies arranged bribes and favours for federal agricultural inspectors and politicians to overlook unsanitary practices.

It is the companies that overlooked unsanitary practices. ---> Of course! But that's not what your sentence expresses!
    I'm not a friend of this phrasing. It is ambiguous and semantically odd. The companies will ignore their own unsanitary practices with and without paying bribes, isn't it? Normally they're paying bribes so that the inspectors do turn a blind eye too.
    I'd rephrase it as:
    In order to have their unsanitary practices overlooked, the companies arranged bribes and favours for federal agricultural inspectors and politicians.
    or
    The companies arranged bribes and favours for federal agricultural inspectors and politicians [in order] to have unsanitary practices overlooked/ignored.

< Previous | Next >