arranged in exchange for frightful flight times and the vaguest of accommodation descriptions.

< Previous | Next >

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
[...]arranged in exchange for frightful filght times (on a barely airworthy carrier) and the vaguest of accommodation decrirptions.

I have some questions about two things from the provided piece of a sentence I have come across:
Why time is plural here? Does it mean the time spent on the plane?

What does the vaguest of accommodation descriptions mean please? I am especially concerned about the meaning of the vaguest here what could it be? The most blurred information in the description of the accomodation?

Input appreciated. :)

Tom

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    Presumably there was more than one flight e.g. there and back, both of which were at inconvenient times. A vague description is one that doesn't give a lot of information, and particularly isn't detailed - the description might have been something like, for example, 'accommodation will be in a large house in the city' where you wanted to know details such as how many rooms, whether there's a kitchen, where exactly it was, how many bathrooms etc. etc.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    My flight time is the time my flight is scheduled to take off.
    I am flying to Paris on Monday at 17:25.
    The flight times to Paris from Belfast are not very convenient.
    The carrier referred to in the topic sentence probably has flights that leave in the middle of the night because the airport charges are lower then - it has frightful flight times.
    The vaguest of accommodation descriptions - they give very little information about the accommodation, probably because it is so dreadful that if they gave you more information you would refuse to book it.

JamesM

I assume that "times" is plural because there is more than one flight involved in this journey. Even a simple round-trip itinerary has two flight times.

You have the meaning of "the vaguest". It is the sketchiest, least informative, most noncommittal description of where you will be staying. "A bed will be provided for you for each night you are in Los Angeles" could mean that you're staying at the Ritz-Carlton or the local homeless shelter, alone or sharing the mattress (or cot). :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think we are talking about a tour operator that has lots of holidays on offer to various locations.
    The tour operator uses small, unfamiliar and perhaps unreliable carriers, and accommodation that other tour operators would not use. So the "flight times" are the flight times for all of the holidays in their brochure.
    I don't fancy a holiday with this lot :(

< Previous | Next >