array of interesting things

Eastt

Georgian
Hello all

Are "array" and "range of" interchangeable in some situations?

For example "He told me range of interesting things about economics" and "He told me array of interesting things about economics"
I'm trying to say that he told many different things about economics
Do the have same meaning?

Thanks in advance

• Barque

Tamil
    Neither sounds natural in that sentence, and in any case you need an article before "range" and "array" (a and an respectively).

I'd just say: He told me many different things... or perhaps: He told me various things about...

The words "range" and array" could be interchangeable sometimes, yes.

Last edited:

Eastt

Georgian
    I offered her a range of options.

does not this means that He offered her various options?

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, it does, or a variety of options. It sounds more natural in this sentence than in the one in your OP.

Barque

Tamil
    It's not that you can't use it. It isn't wrong. It just doesn't sound as natural as in the sentence you provided in #3. One reason is "That's just how it is" but I know you'll probably want more than that, so let's see what others say.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it's just a question of collocation. "Array" suggests to me material objects, but of course it can be used metaphorically:

He presented me with an array of interesting facts about economics.

I think we more easily talk about presenting a range or array of things than " telling" them.

He told us about a whole range of interesting economics courses that were available.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Are "array" and "range of" interchangeable in some situations?
    Perhaps but if you do not know which situations then you will be wrong.

An array is usually visible, although it can sometimes be used figuratively. It has a nuance of a large number seen as a single unit. Array makes no statement as to whether the items show any differences.
    A range makes no statement about visibility. Range has a nuance of a large number seen as individual units, each with a slight difference.

Eastt

Georgian
    yeah I don't know in which situations use it and trying to figure out.

I have an array of computers means many computers but it does not tell us if they are different just means many computers and mostly apply to visible things books, cell phones, cars etc.

A range of options means many different options and apply to opinions, lessons, methods, issues etc. I got it correctly?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I have an array of computers means many computers
    That is not quite correct. "An array of computers" means that you have many computers visible to you at one time. (And, more to the point, you probably mean an array of monitors)

You cannot say "I have an array of computers" if you have one computer in your bedroom, another in your living room, one at the office and another at a club that you attend. An array is similar to a display - an array of items are set close to one another.

< Previous | Next >