arrimar el hombro

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
How would you say arrimar el hombro meaning we all have to work together...

Todos tenemos qie arrimar el hombro para sacar a este país de esta horrible recesión.

Everybody has to lend a hand??? to get this country out of this awful recession.

I found lend a hand in the dicctionar but I am afraid it means something like give a hand? echar una mano which is not the same as " arrimar el hombro.

Thanks a lot.

• aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    To put shoulders to the wheel, i've never heard of it. As Grengo said, "to pitch in" is more common
    You don't reveal your age, 797102030aaa, (nor your country of origin nor current residence) but I have to assume you are young and that the expression "shoulder to the wheel" has recently fallen out of use (outside Tacoma, Washington).

What does "put one's shoulder to the wheel" mean?

Work hard, make a strenuous effort, as in We'll have to put our shoulder to the wheel to get this job done. This metaphoric term, alluding to pushing a heavy vehicle that has bogged down, has been used figuratively since the late 1700s.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

There3 is this thread:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=814278

< Previous | Next >