Arrive at/ in/ to

< Previous | Next >

Alla.belg

Russian-Russia
Could you choose the right preposition in the following sentence: When I arrived...the treasure tree, the treasure had gone. (in/ at/ to). I have never heard such examples (with the word "tree", just with countries and cities and the words like station, party, wedding and so on). Thank you!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't know what a 'treasure tree' is, but one arrives at any feature of the landscape, such as a tree or a river. We can arrive at a building, at a wedding, at the station etc. (You can also "arrive in time" or "in style".)

Welcome to the forum, Alla.belg!

Alla.belg

Russian-Russia
    I don't know what a 'treasure tree' is, but one arrives at any feature of the landscape, such as a tree or a river. We can arrive at a building, at a wedding, at the station etc. (You can also "arrive in time" or "in style".)

Welcome to the forum, Alla.belg!
    Thank you very much! :)

Last edited:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Yes, I'd also use "at" as "the treasure tree", with " arrive", in that sentence means the place where the treasure tree stood, not the tree itself.

Welcome to the forum, Alla.belg.:)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    the treasure tree", with " arrive", in that sentence means the place where the treasure tree stood, not the tree itself.
    It doesn't really matter here whether "at the tree" means "right up close to the tree/touching the tree/underneath the branches of the tree", or simply "in the vicinity of the tree". The important thing to note is that when we arrive somewhere we need to use the preposition "at"— or else choose a different verb: I reached the tree; I came to the tree.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    The important thing to note is that when we arrive somewhere we need to use the preposition "at"— or else choose a different verb: I reached the tree; I came to the tree.
    I did know that we use "at" for small places and "in" for countries etc with "at". I mentioned the place where the tree stood to help the OP understand how "at" worked there or what was generally meant by it -- the OP had said "I have never heard such examples (with the word "tree", just with countries and cities and the words like station, party, wedding and so on)."

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >