"Arrive into"

Scholiast

I am a frequent traveller on railway services within the UK, and a native speaker of English.

More and more often, in recent years, I have heard announcements from train-managers (as they call themselves nowadays) saying:

"In a few minutes we shall be arriving into Reading [/Glasgow/York]".

This strikes me as a solecism: one arrives at a destination, or in a city.

"In a few minutes we shall be arriving in York" (or "...at York station").

What think ye?

• Merrit

English
    "In a few minutes we shall be arriving into Reading." sounds very strange to me, but "In a few minutes we will pull into Reading." sounds just fine.

Maybe 'arrive into' is just an infelicitous blend of 'arrive at' and 'pull into'.

m

Scholiast

Franco-filly, Merrit:

Of course these usages are fine ("...pull into..." &c), and no doubt you are right about the origins of the deviant version, "...arriving into..."). But it was specifically this last parlance that I was questioning.

ribran

English - American
    I hope you don't mind my digging into the archives, but Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage has two examples of "arrive into."

Neighbors arrive into what is already a madhouse scene - Elizabeth Bowen, New Republic, 9 Mar. 1953

...with which persons may arrive into the world at birth - Psychiatry, May 1945
    I'm not endorsing this use, but I thought it needed to be mentioned that it wasn't entirely new.

< Previous | Next >