art-historical nature of the fetish

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
I can not understand the exact meaning of the bold sentence and its relation to Cindy Sherman’s photographs. Could you please share your interpretations of it with me?

Text:
A typical example here would be Marilyn Monroe, whose smiling image circulates in Andy Warhol’s screen print series as representations that both seduce in their phallic power, warding off castration, but at the same time seem riddled with decay, the mechanical reproductions deliberately exhibiting the flaws of the printing process, their varying saccharine colours testifying to something sickly. Warhol’s Gold Marilyn has both the precious veneer of gold leaf and its peeling away, the fetishised smile becoming more and more deathly in its reproduction. In a later essay on Cindy Sherman’s photographs, Mulvey writes that Sherman stages the veiling and unveiling characteristic of the process of fetishism – the oscillation between two contradictory views, the reverence and revulsion towards the art-historical nature of the fetish as a sign in great works of art featuring Madonnas more generally and the works of Hans Bellmer specifically. In Sherman’s Untitled, 1985, she uses a prosthetic butt to turn herself into a doll. This could be read as a self-fetishisation of the female body (Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh).​

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Which clauses/phrases are you having difficulty with?
    1. the oscillation between two contradictory views,
    2. the reverence and revulsion towards the art-historical nature of the fetish
    3. as a sign in great works of art
    4. featuring Madonnas more generally and
    5. the works of Hans Bellmer specifically.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    Which clauses/phrases are you having difficulty with?
    1. the oscillation between two contradictory views,
    2. the reverence and revulsion towards the art-historical nature of the fetish
    3. as a sign in great works of art
    4. featuring Madonnas more generally and
    5. the works of Hans Bellmer specifically.
    My problem is how to connect these clauses to make sense. My impression is as below:

"Mulvey writes that Sherman stages the veiling and unveiling properties of fetishism, i.e. she represents an oscillation between two contradictory views, i.e. the respect and hatred that exist regard the fetishes that are found in the art-history, for example in great artworks that represent Madonna (Christ's mother) and Hans Bellmer's works".

What is your idea?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Mulvey writes that Sherman demonstrates the way that process of fetishism is (i) disguised and (ii) revealed [which we might describe as] the regular changing between two ways that society/people use to look at fetishism: (i) with reverence towards the art-historical nature as a sign in great works of art featuring Madonnas, etc. and more generally (ii) with revulsion in the case of the works of Hans Bellmer specifically.

the art-historical nature of the fetish
    -> the disguised use of fetishism that the painters of historical art used in order evoke emotions

< Previous | Next >