arthroscopy-related development of hypothermia (not arthrosis)

gvergara

Español
Hi

I would like to know if the highlighted expression sounds right to you.

The potential complications of arthrosis-related development of hypothermia (or shoulfd it rather be arthrosis related hypothermia development? :confused::confused:) are clearly delineated.

Thanks in advance,
Gonzalo

<< Moderator note.
In post #9 it emerges that the word arthrosis, above, should be arthroscopy.
Those who are doubtful about the relationship betwen arthroscopy and hypothermia should research this topic elsewhere.
panjandrum >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I suspect that the English for what you are calling arthrosis is arthritis, Gonzalo.

I would understand arthritis-related development of hypothermia to mean the complications of hypothermia in people suffering from arthritis, rather than the complications of arthritis in someone suffering from hypothermia, but then I'm no doctor.

pops91710

English, AE
    I suspect that the English for what you are calling arthrosis is arthritis, Gonzalo.

I would understand arthritis-related development of hypothermia to mean the complications of hypothermia in people suffering from arthritis, rather than the complications of arthritis in someone suffering from hypothermia, but then I'm no doctor.

No, not really. Arthritis is the same word in Spanish minus the "H".

An arthrosis is a joint, an area where two bones are attached for the purpose of motion of body parts. An arthrosis (joint) is usually formed of fibrous connective tissue and cartilage. (MedicineNet.com)

owlman5

English-US
    I'm no doctor, but I have a hard time understanding how a problem with the joints could lead to hypothermia. "Arthritis" and "arthrosis" seem equally mystifying in this context.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    No, not really. Arthritis is the same word in Spanish minus the "H".

An arthrosis is a joint, an area where two bones are attached for the purpose of motion of body parts. An arthrosis (joint) is usually formed of fibrous connective tissue and cartilage. (MedicineNet.com)
    As you can see the same word is used in English for the joint and for the degenerative disease. My suspicion that you meant the disease was founded on the similarity to the French word for the disease.

I suspect that if Gonzalo wants a helpful answer, he will need to give us more context, and have someone with medical training to help him.

pops91710

English, AE
    Arthrosis is degeneration of a joint. Arthritis is inflammation of a joint. Neither, obviously, causes hypothermia.
    Don't let the word hypothermia confuse you. Arthrosis does indeed cause hypothermia (below normal body temperatures). It is best detected by thermography. It can cause detectable cold spots on the surface of the the human body near the affected joint that show up during thermographic scans.

gvergara

Español
    Must reslly apologise, made such a stupid mistake... I didn't mean to say arthrosis, but arthroscopy. Took this line from a medical essay which deals with the relation between arthrsocopy, a surgical procedure, and the occurrence of hypothermia. The right sentence was

The potential complications of arthroscopy-related development of hypothermia (or shoulfd it rather be arthrosis related hypothermia development? :confused::confused:) are clearly delineated.

The highlighted part refers to the development of hypothermia caused by an arthroscopy procedure.

pops91710

English, AE
    Must reslly apologise, made such a stupid mistake... I didn't mean to say arthrosis, but arthroscopy. Took this line from a medical essay which deals with the relation between arthrsocopy, a surgical procedure, and the occurrence of hypothermia. The right sentence was

The potential complications of arthroscopy-related development of hypothermia (or shoulfd it rather be arthrosis related hypothermia development? :confused::confused:) are clearly delineated.

The highlighted part refers to the development of hypothermia caused by an arthroscopy procedure.
    Since arthrosis causes the hypothermia, the arthroscopy has nothing to do with it. Therefore: arthrosis-related hypothermia development seems to be the proper way to say it.

Thomas Tompion

English - England

The problem persists:

Pops is insisting that as arthrosis causes the hypothermia, the sentence must talk about arthrosis, while Gvergara, who asked the question, is telling us he meant to ask about arthroscopy rather than arthrosis, but then in the second example of his correction he seems to repeat his original mistake.

I hesitate to try to be helpful in these circumstances.

If, as I suspect, we are being asked which is the better of

1. arthroscopy-related development of hypothermia and
    2. arthroscopy-related hypothermia development

I suppose I slightly prefer the first, which seems to me to make it clearer that the hypothermia we are considering is caused by the arthroscopy, which is what Gvergara seems to be telling us.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

British English
    Sorry, but I really don't like "hypothermia development", as pops9170 said in post #2. It sounds awkward and a can't imagine it being used. (No doubt someone will dig up 60 million 'hits' with Google).
    Whether it is caused by arthrosis or by poking around in the joint is a matter of what is meant rather than a question of English.

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    Would it be easier to say something like "the development of hypothermia after arthroscopy". If there is any causal relationship one could specify it (as a result of). It is often clearer when simple constructions are used.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This thread has turned into a clinical discussion, not a language discussion.

Let's accept that any operative procedure, including arthroscopy, may cause hypothermia and focus only on the language question (though I suspect that the answer lies with someone familiar with the specific medical terminology, not a language expert(.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    I would write around the problem:

Hypothermia due to arthroscopy...

or

Hypothermia associated with arthroscopy...

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >