article 'a'

< Previous | Next >

barbara255115

Mandarin
In the following point form, am I supposed to add the article 'a' or 'the' in front of 'lab book'? Is it okay if I simply leave the sentence like this?

Meticulously recorded experimental procedures and results in lab book

• pob14

American English
    That's not a complete sentence; it doesn't have a subject. It reads somewhat like a caption for a picture. I don't think you can leave the article out, but an entire sentence (at least) would be helpful.

gurseal

English - USA
    In the following point form, am I supposed to add the article 'a' or 'the' in front of 'lab book'? Is it okay if I simply leave the sentence like this?

Meticulously recorded experimental procedures and results in lab book
    By point form, do you mean bullet? As in
    • Meticulously recorded experimental procedures and results in lab book
    Seems to me that either of the three ways works, depending on the circumstances:
    Omitting articles makes it informal in the way of note-taking or conserving space.
    Using the means having a specific type of lab book in mind.
    Using a means referring to any type of lab book.

Last edited:

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    I agree with Gurseal. It is common in a lab report to use 'note form' or 'bullet form' which does not include a subject and misses out articles. I would say that you do not need 'a', so long as you know that if you were writing correct English the sentence would be

'I meticulously recorded experimental procedures and results in my/the lab book.'

We can't tell you which one is correct in this case, you will have to ask whoever is supervising you in the experiments which way he wants it written.

< Previous | Next >