article issue

lilmike

Russian
Tea has been gaining popularity along with [the] healthy lifestyle
The tea has been developed in cooperation with [the] professors from the Tea Research Institute

Could you please explain why these phrases need or do not need articles? I just can not read rules any longer.
Is it right that in the second phrase THE would mean all the professors from that institute and no THE would mean only some of them?

Last edited:
  • Prower

Banned
    Russian
    Only my personal opinion.

1) the makes this kind of lifestyle unique. I think the fits well here.

2) I think that THE means only some of them while the zero article would mean all of them.

Matching Mole

England, English
    Tea has been gaining popularity along with [the] healthy lifestyle

The
    here does does not sound appropriate because it implies there is this particular defined lifestyle that we are familiar with which we call "the healthy lifestyle", and as far as I know there isn't. (There are set phrases, such as "the high life" which we do consider in this way.) The natural form to use would be "a healthy lifestyle" (any lifestyle that is healthy).

The tea has been developed in cooperation with [the] professors from the Tea Research Institute

This is a particular blend or kind of tea (I presume you understand this, however). "The professors" may be all of them, but it may be some particular professors whom we know about in some way. I would understand "professors" [zero article] to mean some of them.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Without the article, professors from ... could be all of them but would probably be just some. Except that they are professors at TRI, we wouldn't know any more.

The professors from TRI would be some group previously defined. If earlier in the article a group of professors from TRI and another set of professors from, say, the National Academy of Tea Culture, had both been mentioned, then "The tea [that is the subject of this sentence] has been developed in cooperation with the professors from" TRI would tell us that it had not been developed in cooperation with the professors from NATC.

< Previous | Next >