Articles (a,an,the)

< Previous | Next >

Gunner4

Polish
Hi. I know that there are some expressions, in which you don’t use articles, even though a noun is countable. I don’t think that the example, which I am going to show you is an expression, but I’ve been thinking of it for a while, so it’s time to show it.

1. I’d like to order a sandwich with grilled chicken, mayonnaise and mozzarella, but without a/zero article tomato.

I’d go for the first option, because this is a countable noun, but I know that there might be exceptions in your grammar.

• The Newt

English - US
    We would generally say "but without tomato." "A tomato" sounds like you would be putting a whole tomato on the sandwich. An even better option is "with no tomato."

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I’d go for the first option, because this is a countable noun,
    Ah! This is your problem. Nouns are not divided into countable and uncountable. Most nouns can function as countable or uncountable.

There are very few purely uncountable nouns (guidance, advice, jewellery, etc.) and not many purely countable nouns (tree?).

A uncountable noun indicates an indefinite quantity of a homogeneous class of item or concept or an abstract.
    A countable noun indicates a single example of that class.

Food is particularly difficult in English - most food can be countable or uncountable depending upon what is meant.

< Previous | Next >