Articles: (The) Darkness and (the) light

Evgeniya.pt

Russian - Russia
Hello everyone!

I was wondering when you say "darkness and light" and "the darkness and the light" - what is the difference? Is it told about a specific idea of darkness and light in the second phrase?

The fact is that I want to translate a sentence about visualization of darkness and light, here is the full text (sorry in advance for any mistakes):
1. Visualize yourself in front of you (a phantom); it is seated and filled with black energy, with darkness.
2. Immerse the phantom into yourself along with its darkness, it coincides with your size.
3. Visualize yourself in front of you (a phantom); it is filled with white energy, with light.
4. Immerse the phantom into yourself along with its light, it coincides with your size.
5. (The) Darkness and (the) light of the two phantoms interact, but you just observe and do not interfere.

So, the question is: it was told about darkness and light in the steps 1 and 3. Do I need an article in the step 5?

Thank you in advance!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The fact is that I want to translate a sentence about visualization of darkness and light,
    It may help if we compare
    1. The fact is that I want to translate a sentence about visualization of darkness and light,
    with
    2. The fact is that I want to translate a sentence about visualization of the darkness and the light,

In 1. darkness and light have their literal meaning -> the concept or state of a lack of illumination / the concept or state of illumination.

In 2. the darkness and the light refer to the specific darkness and light associated with, in this case, "one of the phantoms".

(The use of light and darkness are the same: you can substitute "light" for "darkness in the following.)

However, in "1. Visualize yourself in front of you (a phantom); it is seated and filled with black energy, with darkness." Here, darkness is mentioned for the first time. Darkness is uncountable, so this is correct.

However, because you have said "it is seated and filled with black energy, with darkness." you have indicated that black energy and darkness are either the same thing or are closely related. You have now defined "darkness" (and it is not the usual definition1). Therefore, after this point, "darkness" should always be qualified by a determiner (the, its, any, some, etc.)

1in this use "darkness" carries the nuance of malevolence, and light carries the nuance of "goodness"

< Previous | Next >