articulación estructural

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Spanish original:
En una perspectiva histórica y comparativa, focalizada en el proceso europeo y americano - sin dejar de hacer mención a otras áreas geográficas cuando resulte pertinente- el curso busca identificar los elementos que se pueden señalar como constitutivos de la sociedad moderna, e intenta comprender su articulación estructural. Estos elementos se identificarán mediante el análisis de momentos fundamentales del proceso histórico occidental en los tres últimos siglos (XVIII, XIX y XX) partiendo de diversos ejes temáticos que corresponden a diferentes esferas o aspectos de la vida social moderna.

My translation draft:
Adopting a historical and comparative perspective with a focus on processes in Europe and the Americas, while making reference to other geographical regions where relevant, this course seeks to identify the elements making up modern society and to understand their structural makeup. These elements will be identified through an analysis of fundamental historical events that took place in the West over the past three centuries (the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth). This will be done through the lens of various focal points representing different spheres or aspects of modern social life.

This is a course description from a document (un "plan de estudios") laying out the requirements for an undergraduate degree ("pregrado") in sociology from a Colombian university.

Do you think "articulación estructural" means anything different from "estructura" in this context? Do you think I could simply translate it as "structure"? I've used "structural makeup" as a placeholder for now, but I'm not too thrilled with it because (1) I don't think it says anything that "structure" doesn't say, and (2) I already used "making up" earlier in the sentence.

I checked the DLE for the meanings of "articulación" and "articular" but I didn't find a clear answer.

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Do you think "articulación estructural" means anything different from "estructura" in this context?
    Yes, because it implies some deliberate external agency combining the components together.

Also, "to articulate" (an therefore its derivate "articulation") can be used in a figurative sense, nor necessarily involving limbs: "to articulate proposals", "articulation of ideas", etc.

Marsianitoh

Spanish-Spain
    ...tries to explain how they conjoin/ become conjoined to build a structure.
    ...how they are conjoined into a structure.

Last edited:

elroy

Thank you both!

Here's my revised translation:

this course seeks to identify the elements making up modern society and to explain how they fit together to form a structure

(Thank you, @Marsianitoh, for "explain"! That makes much more sense than the literal "understand"!)

michelmontescuba

Español
    el curso busca identificar los elementos que se pueden señalar como constitutivos de la sociedad moderna, e intenta comprender su articulación estructural.
    En mi opinión se refiere a cómo se relacionan esos elementos dentro de la estructura social, o cómo funciona esa estructura social teniendo en cuenta la relación que existe entre los elementos que la componen.

elroy

En mi opinión se refiere a cómo se relacionan esos elementos dentro de la estructura social, o cómo funciona esa estructura social teniendo en cuenta la relación que existe entre los elementos que la componen.
    Perfect, thank you! I think my revised translation captures that.