artificial/manual judgement

owenlele

Chinese
If any native English speaker can help. I'm now preparing a technical paper on EE. I want to express some actions that human did rather than automatically happened. So which word is better? Thanks. :)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, owenlele!

Please give us the full sentence in which you want to say this, so we can provide accurate guidance.

George French

English - UK
    If any native English speaker can help. I'm now preparing a technical paper on EE. I want to express some actions that human did rather than automatically happened. So which word is better? Thanks. :)
    Welcome to the forum...

Man made is possibly what you want.. "This dam was man made. That dam, over there, was made by beavers."

GF..

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We're still waiting for a complete sentence owenlele, and some context. What "actions" are these, and please write out EE in full. (Energy Efficiency, Environmental Education...or something else?)

owenlele

Chinese
    Welcome to the forum, owenlele!

Please give us the full sentence in which you want to say this, so we can provide accurate guidance.
    Thanks. The full sentence is "He classified the objects into different classes according to artificial/manual judgement."

owenlele

Chinese
    Than you for your attention. EE is short for Electrical Engineering. The actual form of the "actions" is not important. I just want to show that the "actions" are made by human.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thanks. The full sentence is "He classified the objects into different classes according to artificial/manual judgement."
    Than you for your attention. EE is short for Electrical Engineering. The actual form of the "actions" is not important. I just want to show that the "actions" are made by human.
    "He classified the objects into different classes". That sentence indicates that he did it, and that therefore a machine did not do it. If you feel you need to specify that no machine was involved, you should say that specifically. We have no further context upon which to base any further suggestions for you.

Embonpoint

English--American
    Are these real objects, which he is physically placing in piles, or is he making a list on the computer? Giving a little more context would help us come up with a good way to express this.

The phrase "according to xxx judgement" is probably not the way to go if you want to sound like a native speaker. In writing about humans versus artificial intelligence, we would tend simply to clearly state, "The research assistant did xxx. The same task was then performed by a computer program" etc.

owenlele

Chinese
    Thanks very much :).
    The reviewers concerned about my English writing and suggested me to find some native speakers for help. Maybe the whole paper is full of the not-native phrases and expressions. :(

Embonpoint

English--American
    Thanks very much :).
    The reviewers concerned about my English writing and suggested me to find some native speakers for help. Maybe the whole paper is full of the not-native phrases and expressions. :(
    Probably. It's very very hard to write well in a non-native language, even if you have studied it extensively. One thing you might try is finding a couple well-written paper on a similar subject in English, and reading them carefully for language and style. And of course you can still ask in the fora.

But we need a lot of context to help you. It's not as simple as picking a word. In order to find a phrase that really sounds native we need to know exactly what you are trying to express. Including the sentence before and after can also help!

owenlele

Chinese
    Thank you for your kind help and advice. I wonder if it's convenient to sent you private message for help if I come into more problems with my English writing.

< Previous | Next >