Así mismo ya bastaba de así era.

• lunchmeat317

English - United States
    Hi there.

Using my own knowledge, I remember that "ya basta" means "Enough already!" The verb bastar means "to be enough", or something equivalent. Bastaba would be the imperfect conjugation of bastar.

Looking on the internet, I found that "Así mismo" seems to mean something along the lines of "in this same way", "just like that", or "that's right". (There's a reference on Wordreference.com, but I can't post it because I'm new. Look up "asimismo", though.) "Así era" is "this is how it was" or "so it was".

As such, I would be inclined to translate this as "Just like that, it was already enough" or "That's right, it was already enough" but honestly, I'm not sure. I'm hoping that my guess will steer you in the right direction, unless it's a phrase that doesn't directly translate.

I, too, am interested in knowing the true translation of this phrase. Could you provide context?

Lurrezko

Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Maybe asimismo, ya bastaba de "así era", something like additionally, it was already enough of "so it was". I guess it sounds as odd in English as it sounds in Spanish...

Un saludo

gengo

American English
    Maybe asimismo, ya bastaba de "así era", something like additionally, it was already enough of "so it was". I guess it sounds as odd in English as it sounds in Spanish...

That is very likely, since the writer probably was too lazy to type the quotation marks. Doslunas, you can always trust Lurrezko's suggestions.

Maybe: That's right, we'd had enough of (your) "That's how it was."

Of course, the words might change with the context.

Last edited:

doslunas

American English
    This is a quotation from a story by Clarice Lispector, translated from Portuguese to Spanish. it translates pretty directly. Her language is often confusing. Here is the context:
    ?Y luego?
    Luego.
    Luego.
    Pues entonces.
    Así mismo.
    ?No es así?
    Entonces, pues entonces se reveló repentinamente: entonces, pues entonces es así mismo. Augusta le había contado que habría merjoría luego. Así mismo ya bastaba de así era.

Thanks for any suggestions.