as a child you get used to the way your father jokes, walks, or smells.

bosun

Banned
korean
In the follwoing sentence, what does it mean by " how your father smell"? Does it mean fathers' unique odor? or what else?

as a child you get used the way your father jokes, walks, or smells.

• Trisia

Romanian
    In the following sentence, what does it "how your father smells" mean? Does it mean father's unique odor? Or what else?

"As a child, you get to used the way your father jokes, walks, or smells."
    We all have our distinctive body odour. And I don't mean BO as in the smell characteristic of people who don't shower! :D Just your... umm, natural perfume :). The sentence says that children are very sensitive and tend to remember these characteristics - the way dad smells, the way he walks or tells jokes.

daviesri

USA English
    We need the full sentence. I cannot see how the text you have included in your post can be used in a sentence properly.

If the questions was, "How does you father smell?", the answer would be "with his nose".

If it was "Does you father smell?" The answer could be:
    He smells fine, his nose works great.
    or... He doesn't smell to good after he mows the lawn.

Smell is usually used when you are talking about the sense of smell.

Black Opal

English
    In the follwoing sentence, what does it mean by " how your father smell"? Does it mean fathers' unique odor? or what else?

As a child you get used to the way your father jokes, walks, or smells.
    Yes I would say it refers to your father's unique odour (note BE spelling of odour here).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "as a child you get used the way your father jokes, walks, or smells."

Of course this is referring to father's normal odour - not offensive, just his normal smell.
    We are all inspired by smells, and children especially. Many memories can be triggered by a familiar smell.

Mothers have an individual smell.
    Fathers do too.
    Even these days, when personal smells are disguised by chemicals, each of us has a very individual olfactory identity - ie, smell.

When WMPG gives me a big greeting hug it always involves a big sniff as well, often followed by a "You've been ..." as she has analysed my smell and knows what I have been doing. Have you ever seen a tired child with her favourite soft toy, or her blankie? What does she do? She holds that object close to her face, closes her eyes, and breathes it in. It's the touch, the feel and the smell that comfort her. These are really primitive and powerful senses.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)

as a child you get used the way your father jokes, walks, or smells.
    I would like to say that "the way your father smells" is something unique to you alone, he may be only one man, but the way he smells to you is something that's yours only, and no one else in the whole world can share that with you.

My mom can usually "smell" if I am tired or sick, my co-workers smell my parfume, as for my boyfriends, ..................:D

AngelEyes

English - United States
    In the follwoing sentence, what does it mean by " how your father smell"?

Isn't the perfume industry a billion dollar market? We all - especially women - choose our own scent or smell - and usually become known by this scent by those who are closest to us.

Men are the same way. They buy aftershave and men's cologne and this becomes their identifying scent.

Even if we don't use a perfume substitute, there are Pheromones - that unique chemical "something" that's different in every person. HERE

Or maybe it's a pipe tobacco smell. Or the smell of car grease. Our daily lives stick to our skin and go home with us. My opinion would be that this is the type of "smell" your sentence was referring to. You can't see it, but it's there and as real as anything tangible.

My dad will always be linked to the smell of Old Spice aftershave.

Also, I think men can close their eyes and conjure up the smell of their special lady friends without making an effort.

AngelEyes

mjscott

American English
    Isn't the perfume industry a billion dollar market? We all - especially women - choose our own scent or smell - and usually become known by this scent by those who are closest to us.

Men are the same way. They buy aftershave and men's cologne and this becomes their identifying scent.

Even if we don't use a perfume substitute, there are Pheromones - that unique chemical "something" that's different in every person. HERE

Or maybe it's a pipe tobacco smell. Or the smell of car grease. Our daily lives stick to our skin and go home with us. My opinion would be that this is the type of "smell" your sentence was referring to. You can't see it, but it's there and as real as anything tangible.

My dad will always be linked to the smell of Old Spice aftershave.

Also, I think men can close their eyes and conjure up the smell of their special lady friends without making an effort.

AngelEyes
    I have a hard time remembering a smell. It is only when I smell it again do I remember what the smell is. When my father died, I grabbed his pillow case and a jacket he wore and inhaled where his neck had been. I knew that it was a unique smell that I would never smell again. Now that he is gone, I can't describe what that smell was. If I were to smell it again, I am sure it would invoke memories of my father.

sdgraham

USA English
    I have a hard time remembering a smell. It is only when I smell it again do I remember what the smell is. When my father died, I grabbed his pillow case and a jacket he wore and inhaled where his neck had been. I knew that it was a unique smell that I would never smell again. Now that he is gone, I can't describe what that smell was. If I were to smell it again, I am sure it would invoke memories of my father.
    Nice post, mj.

Humans do, of course, have unique odors, even without augmentation. It's something that's obvious to canines, but to us, with our relatively crude olfactory senses, it's not something we often think about.

< Previous | Next >