as a cure for....or to improve well-being

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Something appears to be lost in the expression "as a cure for....or to improve well-being."

Because one can say "as a cure for something", but it is not proper to say "as a cure to improve something."

Should it be "as a cure for....or as a means to improve well-being"?

Thanks in advance

Meditators might be biased, too. The researchers write: “The media portrayal of meditation as a cure for a range of mental health problems or to improve well-being is very likely to feedback into participants… [O]nly one of the studies we examined controlled for expectation effects and this methodological concern is generally absent in the meditation literature.”

-Scientific American

Source

• owlman5

English-US
    The media portrays meditation as something that is capable of two things: 1. It can cure a range of mental health problems. 2. It can improve well-being. The media's portrayal of meditation "is very likely to feedback into participants..." Meditators might be biased by this portrayal.

This isn't the most graceful English I've seen, but I can understand what it means. I dislike the phrase "feedback into participants", but that's a topic for another thread.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Something appears to be lost in the expression "as a cure for....or to improve well-being."

Because one can say "as a cure for something", but it is not proper to say "as a cure to improve something."

Should it be "as a cure for....or as a means to improve well-being"?

Thanks in advance

Meditators might be biased, too. The researchers write: “The media portrayal of meditation as a cure for a range of mental health problems or to improve well-being is very likely to feedback into participants… [O]nly one of the studies we examined controlled for expectation effects and this methodological concern is generally absent in the meditation literature.”

-Scientific American

Source
    These blog articles are often not well edited:(
    “The media portrayal of meditation (either) as a cure for a range of mental health problems or to improve well-being is very likely to feedback into participants.

< Previous | Next >