as a means of [doing something]

toutey

American English
Könnte jemand mir zeigen, wie man diesen Satzteil übersetzen würde?

Beispielsatz auf Englisch und mein Übersetzungversuch:

He should stop worshipping the dictionary as a means of learning a language.
Er sollte aufhören, das Wörterbuch als Weg zum Sprachenlernen anzubeten.

• Wulz

German
    Er sollte kein Wörterbuch, als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache, verwenden.

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Wulz's sentence doesn't say quite the same thing as the English original. I think your sentence is good. I would only make one small change:
    Er sollte aufhören, das Wörterbuch als Mittel zum Sprachenlernen anzubeten.

toutey

American English
    I'm rather surprised that I managed (seemingly) to stumble upon a correct form for "as a [means / basis / etc.] of [doing something]" in my original sentence.

Er sollte kein Wörterbuch, als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache, verwenden.
    Ah, yes. It's a relative clause.

Er sollte aufhören, das Wörterbuch, als Mittel / Grundlage zum Sprachenlernen, anzubeten.

Sollte ich ein paar Kommas so einfügen?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    No, you do not need the commas around the als phrase.

Er sollte aufhören, das Wörterbuch als ... anzubeten.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Yes. Commas serve a different purpose in German than in English. In German, commas separate clauses. As a rule of thumb you might say only part of sentences which have there own verb are separates by commas (including infinitive constructions with zu). The full rules are, how else could it be in German, much more complicated.

The commas in Wulz's sentence are not really correct.

Wulz

German
    ´´Er sollte kein Wörterbuch, als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache, verwenden.´´

Is this no insertion(Einschub)?
    ´´Er sollte kein Wörterbuch verwenden.´´ can stand alone.

´´,als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache,´´
    Is for me an insertion.

Henryk

Germany, German
    Seit wann kann man Gegenstände anbeten? Im übertragenen Sinne ginge es meines Erachtens nicht.

Last edited:

berndf

German (Germany)
    ´´Er sollte kein Wörterbuch, als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache, verwenden.´´

Is this no insertion(Einschub)?
    ´´Er sollte kein Wörterbuch verwenden.´´ can stand alone.

´´,als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache,´´
    Is for me an insertion.
    "Sollte...verwenden" is a verbal bracket. Have a look at http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=968460. This is not exactly the same kind of verbal bracket but it should give you the idea.

Wulz

German
    I have no pdf-programm.
    Can you quote the text parts?

Insertions are clasped with commas.
    Is this no insertion ?

berndf

German (Germany)
    This would unfortunately be against form rules (copyright).

I will try to adapt the topic of that thread to our case: In our case, the bracket is not constructed by a separated preposition and a verb but by an auxiliary and a main verb. Without sollte the sentence would be the following:
    Er verwendet kein Wörterbuch als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache.
    When using an auxilliary verb the main verb goes to the end of the sentence and the auxiliary and the main verbs form a bracket around the object(s) and adjunct(s):
    Er sollte kein Wörterbuch als Grundlage zum Erlernen einer Sprache verwenden.

toutey

American English
    Seit wann kann man Gegenstände anbeten? Im übertragenen Sinne ginge es meines Erachtens nicht.
    (Don't answer here; I made a new topic regarding this)

anbeten was listed in the online dictionary Beolingus as being a transitive verb for "to worship". Should this verb only be used in reference to people & gods, and not things? Is there another alternative verb I could have used that would have sounded better to you?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >