as a pastime perhaps, but with dedication.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Julianus, May 19, 2015.

1. Julianus

Julianus Senior Member

Korean
    Hello~.

1a. The word amateur is a complex one. By one meaning, it indicates limited skill and amateurishness, as opposed to professionalism. Yet its older meaning comes (via French) from the Latin word love (l’amour). Thus the word can mean doing something for the love of it, as a pastime perhaps, but with dedication.
    (from Korea high school English book)

I think the but is being used for the emphasis of comparing with dedication with as a pastime perhaps. Am I right?(Therefore, the but can be ommited.)

Thank you as always~.

2. sonorous Banned

Warsaw
    Polish
    not really, "as a pastime with dedication" sounds odd to me, you could use "done with dedication"

3. Julianus

Julianus Senior Member

Korean
    Actually I meaned that because the brown is inserted between it and but with dedication, the with dedication is connected with it like 1b or 1c.

1b. Thus the word can mean doing something for the love of it, with dedication.
    1c. Thus the word can mean doing something for the love of it, but with dedication.

Whether or not my analysis is correct, why does the but is used in front of with dedication like 1a or 1c(if my analysis is correct)?
    In other words, what is the role or meaning of the but?