as a proportion of its population, than most in Europe

meramli

turkish
BBC Bosnia: The cradle of modern jihadism?

Back in the 1990s something happened in central Bosnia-Herzegovina that inspired people to this day and helps explain why that country now has more men fighting in Syria and Iraq (over 300), as a proportion of its population, than most in Europe.

Can you explain this part : as a proportion of its population, than most in Europe.? Thanks

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    It means that the percentage of people from Bosnia fighting in Syria and Iraq, compared to its total population, is greater than the percentage of people from other countries.

meramli

turkish
    I confused with the usage of 'than'(we had seen the usage of then in different way not like this) and partly 'as', can you explain them? Thanks.

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    Meramli, I'm sorry, your question doesn't make any sense to me.

Bosnia and Herzegovina has a population of about 3.8 million. 300 men "as a proportion of its population" would be .00008 or 0.008 percent. So using hypothetical figures for the "rest of Europe," BBC is saying:
    Proportion of Bosnian population fighting in Syria and Iraq: 0.008%
    Proportion of population of rest of Europe fighting in Syria and Iraq: 0.005%
    BBC probably means a lot less, but was too careful to say so. According to what they said, the "rest of Europe" figure could be 0.007%

< Previous | Next >