as a result from the deviant or negative case analysis

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Some interesting refinements presented themselves as exceptions to the presented patterns above. Further examination uncovered additional patterns and conditions that specify our findings as a result from the deviant or negative case analysis.
(Existential crisis and the awareness of dying: the role of meaning and spirituality; Yang W, Staps T, Hijmans E.)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it should be read as follows:

As a result from the deviant or negative case analysis further examination uncovered additional patterns and conditions that specify our findings.

Thanks.

• wandle

English - British
    No, that suggestion cannot fit the syntax. The original is not clear. The word 'specify' seems wrongly used.

My impression is that the authors meant 'additional patterns and conditions that differentiate the result of our findings from that of the deviant or negative case analysis'.

However, I would want to see more context in order to be sure.

Last edited:

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you wandle!

However, I would want to see more context in order to be sure.
    I think the following may be relevant:

A special case of theoretical sampling is the examination of deviant cases or contrast groups in a later phase of the research. These are exceptions to patterned regularities that are examined in order to make the analysis more sharply focused (Denzin, 1987, p. 65) and to uncover additional and relevant factors that could lead to specification or theoretical revision.

Thanks.

wandle

English - British
    lead to specification or theoretical revision.
    This strengthens my impression that by 'specification' the authors mean 'making a distinction or differentiation'. That would apparently be a mere modification rather than a radical revision of the theory.

This seems confirmed by the heading of the final section: Specification of the Findings.
    The section distinguishes situations that differ from the typical patterns already discussed.

Last edited:

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you wandle, but I'm still not sure what specifically I need to 'attach' "as a result" to in that particular sentence?

1) additional patterns and conditions that differentiate the result of our findings from that of the deviant or negative case analysis
    2) additional patterns and conditions that specify our findings as a result from the deviant or negative case analysis

I can't seem to reconcile these two versions and 2) still remains a bit of a mistery. Could you expand on it a bit?

Thanks.

wandle

English - British
    additional patterns and conditions that specify our findings as a result from the deviant or negative case analysis
    I believe the authors mean: 'additional patterns and conditions that differentiate our findings, considered as a result, from [those of] the deviant or negative case analysis, considered as a result'.

< Previous | Next >