as a result of / as the result of

Dear friends!!!

The expression "as a result of" is a fixed used to mean that something happened after something else and one thing was the reason of the other (or one thing was the consequence of the other - this is the same). But there is also a phrase "as the result of something". A sample sentence: "He became wiser as the result of an experience". As you have certainly guessed, my question is about the proper article: "a" or "the"?

My point of view is that there is a fixed linker, as I have said above, "as a result", but we can also say "as the reult" when we want to concentrate on some specific outcome.

What is your opinion?

Thanks!!!

• DBlomgren

USA
    English, USA
    Dear friends!!!

The expression "as a result of" is a fixed expression used to mean that something happened after something else and one thing was the reason of the other (or one thing was the consequence of the other - this is the same). But there is also a phrase "as the result of something".

My point of view is that there is a fixed expression, as I have said above, "as a result", but we can also say "as the result" when we want to concentrate on some specific outcome.

What is your opinion?

I agree. Here's how I would put it: If we are referring to a general result (i.e., it generally happens), use "a." For example, "He lost as a result of not practicing."

Use "the" if your focus is on the result. Example from the Net: "Idaho was possibly named as the result of a hoax."
    If we are referring to a specific result, we use "the":

Thanks!!! Is it possible that one sentence is used with either "a" or "the" with the same meaning? For example

1. As a result of the experiment, the scientist understood the nature of the phenomenon
    2. As the result of the experiment, the scientist understood the nature of the phenomenon

Both sentences are intended to convey the same idea, but in the first one we are just talking about what allowed the scientist to understand the phenomenon and in the second we are focusing on a particular experiment.

Thanks!!!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think that as a result of is the standard collocation.
    I don't believe there is any difference of meaning conveyed by as the result of.
    Have a look at the different phrases as they are used in context.
    as a result
    as the result

The first thing you will notice is that there are many, many more examples of as a result.

DBlomgren

USA
    English, USA
    Hmm. Number 1 sounds good, but number 2 isn't as good, although I would say it is acceptable.

Remember "the result" is not focusing on a particular experiment but rather a particular result.

Your distinction would be communicated like this:
    1. As a result of an experiment...
    2. As a result of the experiment...

Myridon

English - US
    2. As the result of the experiment, the scientist understood the nature of the phenomenon.
    "The result" seems to indicate that "understanding" is the only result of the experiment which seems unlikely. The experiment also produced a chemical compound, a dead rat, or some other result which caused the scientist to understand.

🖤Skye🎧

xx
    Dear friends!!!

The expression "as a result of" is a fixed used to mean that something happened after something else and one thing was the reason of the other (or one thing was the consequence of the other - this is the same). But there is also a phrase "as the result of something". A sample sentence: "He became wiser as the result of an experience". As you have certainly guessed, my question is about the proper article: "a" or "the"?

My point of view is that there is a fixed linker, as I have said above, "as a result", but we can also say "as the reult" when we want to concentrate on some specific outcome.

What is your opinion?

Thanks!!!
    I’m sorry, but I wanna ask what’s the meaning of “as a result of”? Because I don’t really understand it... thanks