as a social critic of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "as a social critic of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry" mean "(he criticized/was critical of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry (because he thought that the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry would lead the society to disaster)"?

Thanks in advance

Thomas Stephen Szasz,<...........> A distinguished lifetime fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a life member of the American Psychoanalytic Association, he was best known as a social critic of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry, as what he saw as the social control aims of medicine in modern society, as well as scientism.

-Wikipedia

Source

• NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    I haven't read the Wikipedia article, I have to be honest: does it say that he thought this would lead society to disaster? if not how do you infer that?
    See the following line: "as what he saw as the social control aims of medicine in modern society, as well as scientism."

A totalitarian government is characterized by social control. It is known that such government often leads society to disaster. Now such medicine could lend a strong hand for social control, dramatically increasing the risk of social disasters.

Chasint

English - England
    ... Thomas Stephen Szasz,<...........> A distinguished lifetime fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a life member of the American Psychoanalytic Association, he was best known as a social critic of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry, as what he saw as the social control aims of medicine in modern society, as well as scientism.
    Disaster is not implied by anything here. Without reading anything other than the paragraph you have given, my understanding is:

Stephen is a psychiatrist but he distrusts some of the premises accepted by other psychiatrists.
    He dislikes psychiatry being used for purposes of social control - presumably he wants it to be like other medicine, i.e for the benefit of the patient.
    He is sceptical that psychiatry is a truly scientific discipline to the extent that his colleagues claim.

london calling

UK English
    See the following line: "as what he saw as the social control aims of medicine in modern society, as well as scientism."

A totalitarian government is characterized by social control. It is known that such government often leads society to disaster. Now such medicine could lend a strong hand for social control, dramatically increasing the risk of social disasters.
    I have just read the article. Did you follow the link for 'social' control'? If you didn't you should have.

Social control is a concept within the disciplines of the social sciences. Sociologists identify two basic forms of social control:

1. Informal means of control – Internalization of norms and values by a process known as socialization, which is defined as "the process by which an individual, born with behavioral potentialities of enormously wide range, is led to develop actual behavior which is confined to the narrower range of what is acceptable for him by the group standards".
    2. Formal means of social control – External sanctions enforced by government to prevent the establishment of chaos or anomie in society. Some theorists, such as Émile Durkheim, refer to this form of control as regulation.

< Previous | Next >