as beautiful as I remember

apprentice

US - English
I am hoping someone can help me with a translation from English to Italian. I will be seeing a woman that I have not seen in some time and I would like to say to her: "You are as beautiful as I remember". We are not it love but share a very strong romantic connection that could lead to a serious relationship. I want it to be a romantic gesture. I understand that context is important in the Italian language and I wouldn't want to end up saying something to her that I would be more likely to say to my mother or sister.

Thanks,

• DDT

Italy - Italian
    Hi Apprentice,
    Welcome to WR forums!

I suggest you should tell her "Sei esattamente come ti ricordavo" ("You're exactly as I remember")...I wouldn't mention "beautiful"...yet you asked for "as beautiful as I remember" which could sound as "sei bella/splendida (more elegant way to say "beautiful", literally "splendid") come ti ricordavo"

Hope it helps,

DDT

Silvia

Italian
    I agree with DDT, I would actually change the phrase to:

"Il tempo non passa mai per te"

I'll try to translate it into English as "with you time stands still", though I'm not sure it's what I'm trying to say. What do you understand by that?

Tede

USA - English
    "Il tempo non passa mai per te"

Literally I would say ""time never passes for you" but I think the equivalent expression we use is "you haven't aged a day".

Tede

USA - English
    Tutto e' una poesia in italiano! Ma hai ragione, la voce e' importante, se la frase e' brutta o bella (anche la donna!).

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Tede said:
    Tutto e' una poesia in italiano! Ma hai ragione, la voce e' importante, se la frase e' brutta o bella (anche la donna!).
    Is it poetic in Italian, I agree. But is it safe to assume these are ehm... more mature folks? Because it sounds like they are with these suggestions. Two young people wouldn't be commenting "you haven't aged a bit"! That I would say to a mother or sister for sure.

Silvia

Italian
    lsp, the phrase I suggested is quite good for young people as well, for example if they were 18 or 16 and now they are 22, the result is still the same, they haven't changed since last time, so I guess it's quite universal ;)

lsp

NY
    US, English
    silviap said:
    lsp, the phrase I suggested is quite good for young people as well, for example if they were 18 or 16 and now they are 22, the result is still the same, they haven't changed since last time, so I guess it's quite universal ;)
    Not a 22 year old's romantic greeting. Agree to disagree.

lucia

Italy - Italian, French
    Ciao a tutti.
    Io direi " sei sempre bellissima" o "carina" se non si vuole esagerare....
    Parlare del tempo che passa nel caso di persone intorno ai 20 anni non ha molto senso....Sono comunque d'accordo sul fatto che molto dipende dal contesto e dal modo con cui si dice..

< Previous | Next >