'as' before the objective complement of 'choose'

Li singh

hindi
Hi
I am sometimes confused about some specific words that may be before the objective complement of 'choose'
1) I chose him as my servant.
2) I chose him to be my servant.
3) I chose him my husband.
Does the word to be put depend on the nature of the complement? I find both 'as' and 'to be' to be put before different complements. Can we write the complement without 'as' and 'to be' before it?
Many many thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    Can we write the complement without 'as' and 'to be' before it?
    This is possible after some verbs: They elected her president. They crowned him king. They deemed/considered it a success.

Omitting "as" or "to be" is strange after "choose": I chose him husband??? I chose him to be my husband/I chose him as a husband. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Li singh

hindi
    Can we sense that 'as' or 'to be' is omitted here in ' I chose him (to be/as ) my servant'? Which is better, 'as' or 'to be' ?

owlman5

English-US
    What do you mean by "here", Li singh?

Are you asking whether it sounds strange and wrong to omit "to be" or "as" after the verb "choose"? It does sound strange and wrong: I choose you my friend??? This is not normal English.

You can use either "to be" or "as" in your latest example: I choose him to be my servant. :thumbsup: I choose him as my servant.:thumbsup:

Li singh

hindi
    Can we sense that 'as' or 'to be' is omitted here in ' I chose him (to be/as ) my servant'? Which is better, 'as' or 'to be' ? If we use without them, why is that strange? I want him to be my servant/to work for me as my servant/ to serve me. For it, why is it strange that I say ' I chose him my servant.' ?

Li singh

hindi
    If we use without them, why does that sound strange and wrong ? I want him to be my servant/to work for me as my servant/ to serve me. For it, why is it strange that I say ' I chose him my servant.' ? Is it not same as ' We elected him president' ? If not, please help me with the difference between ' choose him as/to be my servant' and ' elected him president'.

owlman5

English-US
    For it, why is it strange that I say ' I chose him my servant.' ?
    Because it is normal to use "as" or "to be" after the verb "choose". It is not normal to say "I chose him my servant." :thumbsdown:

A structure that works for one verb doesn't always work for every other verb. You don't need "to be" or "as" after "consider": I consider him a success. :thumbsup: You do need "as" or "to be" after "choose": I choose you to be my friend. I chose him as my servant.:thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    Because people don't use "choose" that way in normal English, Li singh.

You can't use the same structure for "choose" that you use for "elect" in normal English. Different verbs often require different prepositions. Some verbs require no preposition. "Choose" requires something like "to be" or "as" if you want to complement an object after "choose": I choose a book. :thumbsup: I choose him to be my servant.:thumbsup:

Li singh

hindi
    That we use with or without 'as' or 'to be' depends on native speakers' usage.
    I found it good / to be good. What is about it?

owlman5

English-US
    That structure is okay after the verb "find": I found him good. :thumbsup:

It's also possible to use "to be" in that sentence: I found him to be good.:thumbsup:

"As" doesn't sound normal in that sentence: I found him as good. :thumbsdown:

< Previous | Next >