As Chance would have it / as it happens/happened

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
Hello Members

The sentences below are from two dictionaries.I would like to know the difference between them.

e.g. As chance would have it, John was going to London too.So I went with him.
e.g. As chance would have it, the only time I wanted to see her, she wasn't in.
e.g. As it happens, I have a spare set of keys in my office.
e.g. As it happens, I know someone who might be able to help.

I noticed one thing ,in the sentence As chance would have it, the only time I wanted to see her, she wasn't in. it talks about something unlucky happening. so I would like to know if As it happens can also be used to mean the same or As chance would have it is the only option.

Finally I noticed another thing As chance would have it is used to talk about something which happened in the past but As it happens talks about the present. so is there any present counterpart of As chance would have it?

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please choose a single sentence in which you might use these different constructions, and we can discuss the differences between them.

It is too complicated to try to discuss 4 very different contexts in a single thread.

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
    Hello Cagey
    If I take the two sentences below, what will be the difference. I mean the meaning-wise.
    As chance would have it John was going to London too.so I went with him.
    As it happens I have a spare set of keys in my office.

I would also like to know if there is any present & future counter-part of as chance would have it and future counter-part of as it happens.
    I made the sentences below could you please check if they are correct.
    As chance has it I have some extra cash so I can lend some to you. (Present)
    As chance will have it I am going to the funeral too.so you can go with me if you like. (Future)
    As it will happen I am going in the same direction.so I can drop you where you want.