as <chum> to conservative talk radio

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does it mean "(the press corps are as docile/meek) as a friend (to conservative talk radio)"?

Thanks in advance
In a more fractious political setting—the British Parliament, say—Trump would have been shouted down by howls of derision. There in the East Room, the members of the White House press corps sat meekly as the President offered them up as chum to conservative talk radio and other redoubts of alternative-reality Trumpery. “I turn on the TV, open the newspapers, and I see stories of chaos,” he said, striking a note of incredulity. “Chaos. Yet it is the exact opposite. This Administration is running like a fine-tuned machine, despite the fact that I can’t get my Cabinet approved.”

-The New Yorker

Source

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    You have the wrong meaning of "chum". Here it does not mean "friend", but instead refers to the sort of bait (dead fish; animal intestines; etc.) thrown into the water when one is fishing for sharks.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    You have the wrong meaning of "chum". Here it does not mean "friend", but instead refers to the sort of bait (dead fish; animal intestines; etc.) thrown into the water when one is fishing for sharks.
    If so, "up as" should have been removed from "offered them up as chum": Offered them chum/the bait"?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    No!!!!!!!

The White House press corps wasn't offered shark food -- they WERE the shark food!!!!!

The sentence means what it says: the White House press corps was offered as "food" to be torn to shreds by the "sharks" of conservative talk radio.

< Previous | Next >