as clever as a stick in a bucket of pig swill

< Previous | Next >
  • cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Yes. A stick is, obviously, not very clever. The implication of this typically inventive Blackadder insult is that a stick in a bucket of pig swill is even less clever than your average stick. :D

ewie

English English
    :DGood one! It has the double impact of 'very stupid object' (stick) in 'very thick substance' (pigswill).

In fact unintelligent people are fairly often said to be as thick as pigswill, now that I come to think of it.

Suspishio

English - England
    :DGood one! It has the double impact of 'very stupid object' (stick) in 'very thick substance' (pigswill).

In fact unintelligent people are fairly often said to be as thick as pigswill, now that I come to think of it.
    Ewie, are you sure it's pigswill? There are thicker pig substances than that!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It's from Blackadder III
    Prince George - later George IV (I think): Why, only the other day Prime Minister Pitt called me an idle scrounger. It wasn't until ages later that I thought how clever it could have been to have said, "Oh bugger off, you old fart!" I need to improve my mind Blackadder. I want people to say, "That George, why he's as clever as a stick in a bucket of pig swill."

The alternative pig substance would not have been mentioned by name on prime time BBC, but may have been hinted at :)

< Previous | Next >