as close as I’ll get to an apology where

Irelia20150604

Chinese
site:Donald Trump Jr. on Twitter

I guess this is as close as I’ll get to an apology where yet another “bombshell” bites the dust. Pro tip: don’t just rush to publish anything thinking that it’s the got ya you so desperately want it to be. CNN has the market cornered on that... let them own it.
==
Hi everyone! What does the bold part mean? Thanks in advance.

• bennymix

NPR admitted it "mischaracterized" a response of Donald Jr. He's saying that's as close to an apology as he'll get. (He wanted a full apology.) He accuses them of trying to create a bombshell of a story (against the Trumps) and making stuff up like CNN always does about dear Daddy.

kentix

English - U.S.
    NPR could have said, "We made a mistake and claimed he said something that he didn't. We're sorry." (That would be an apology.)

But instead they said "we mischaracterized" what he said. That means they paraphrased it or analyzed it in a way that was misleading and didn't represent the true meaning of his words. Mischaracterized is a vague "weasel word"* compared to the word "mistake".

It's kind of like saying, after you knock a glass on the floor and it breaks, "It's too bad the glass broke." instead of saying "I'm sorry I broke the glass." He's saying what they said was closer to the first than the second - not a real apology.

* (from Merriam-Webster) any term intended to give the impression that everything is fine when the speaker is really trying to avoid answering a question, telling the truth, or taking the blame for something.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I'm not commenting on him. I'm commenting on the general concept of an apology versus a sort-of-apology. (To be honest, I'm on a news break and don't know any of the facts.)

But it reminds me of a movie I saw recently. One of the characters says to another character after he thought she wasn't doing her job well but then found out the reason he thought that way was because another employee was "mischaracterizing" the job she was doing. "I'm not the type of person to say sorry." He looks kind of sheepish as he says it.

And the employee character responds "So?"

And he laughs and says, "That's it."

bennymix

Here are some details:

Cohen's Account Of Russia Talks Raises Questions About Trump Jr. 2017 Testimony

The story reported that Trump Jr.'s response — that negotiations on one project concluded by the end of 2014 — contrasted with the version of events as laid out in the guilty plea by Michael Cohen on Thursday. In fact, Trump Jr. and investigators were alluding to a different set of negotiations — not to a deal that Cohen was reportedly pursuing. Trump Jr. did acknowledge in his testimony that Cohen and another man were exploring a possible deal in Moscow in 2015 or 2016.

NPR mistakenly stated that Trump Jr's account of 'negotiations' with Russia conflicted with Cohen's. In fact two different negotiations were involved.

'Mischaracterized' is pretty appropriate, though something less than Donald Jr. hoped for.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >