As = considering ?

< Previous | Next >
Context: V.Evans, CPE The use of English, 2002, p.35, gap filling exercice:

While some people sell stories to the tabloid press about how their lives have changed many others sadly disappointed with the results, AS (CONSIDERING - does it sound o.k too?) it may even have left them looking considerably worse than they did before.

Could we use CONSIDERING as conjuction?

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Contessina, are you sure you have quoted everything correctly? I mean - all commas, verbs, etc. This sentence sounds somewhat verbless to me. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I suspect mistakes were made. I think it should be as follows -- 'are' being the verb boozer was missing.

While some people sell stories to the tabloid press about how their lives have changed, many others are sadly disappointed with the results, AS (CONSIDERING - does it sound o.k too?) it may even have left them looking considerably worse than they did before.

It would be very helpful to have more information. For instance, what is 'it' in "it may even have left them looking considerably worse"?

In any case, I would not use 'considering'. The second clause is an explanation of the first part of the sentence, and we need a causal conjunction, which as is in this context. Because would also work.

Considering
    doesn't have this meaning. It usually introduces a concession, an additional fact that colors the information in the previous clause.
    "He plays the flute very well, considering that he's only three."
    (If you didn't take his age into account, you might not think he played well at all.)

JamesM

I think considering is a possibility. The sentence is so long that it requires that the listener hold the entire second clause in mind until the end. It reminds me of Jane Austen's writing. :)

"He shouldn't have bothered to show up, considering he didn't even dress up for the occasion."

That sounds quite natural to me and similar to your sentence. I think as is preferable but considering is a possible alternative.

OK! First of all I am very sorry for causing confusion, my fault - I forgot the verb. The original version is as follows:

While some people sell stories to the tabloid press about how their lives have changed many others are sadly disappointed with the results, AS (CONSIDERING - does it sound o.k too?) it may even have left them looking considerably worse than they did before.

And more context:

Topic: Cosmetic Surgery
    Paragraph 3
    :

It is the people in the public eye who normally have the most drastic changes made. However, many ordinary people dream of looking dramatically different, save for years to make their dream come true, and are willing to put up with the inevitable swelling, scarring and black eyes. While some people sell stories to the tabloid press about how their lives have changed many others are sadly disappointed with the results, AS (CONSIDERING - does it sound o.k too?) it may even have left them looking considerably worse than they did before.

Therefore: is 'considering an option' (I dare to ask again after clarifying the context)
    Another thing, I understand that "it" refers to "the resutls" - shouldn't it be " While some people sell stories to the tabloid press about how their lives have changed many others are sadly disappointed with
    the results, AS (CONSIDERING - does it sound o.k too?) it THEY may even have left them looking considerably worse than they did before.

Last edited:

JamesM

Thanks for the additional context. I'm switching sides. :) In that context "considering" doesn't sound good to me. Cagey was right to wonder what the "it" was. I assumed it was selling their stories to the tabloid press. Now it's clear that it is cosmetic surgery.

< Previous | Next >