as deflated as the boat was

< Previous | Next >

chaenii92

Koerean
*The breeze was taking to the opposite, uninhabited side of the lake and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it to get back.

I wonder the structure of the underlined sentence & the part left out(the original full sentence).

I found this one from my textbook.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    What part was left out?

You underlined a phrase, not a sentence. The phrase you underlined is a "parenthetical comment", so it is not part of the sentence grammar. Parenthetical comments are punctuated with commas or parentheses. There is no difference in meaning between these:

and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it
    and (as deflated as the boat was) he could not control it

chaenii92

Koerean
    What part was left out?

You underlined a phrase, not a sentence. The phrase you underlined is a "parenthetical comment", so it is not part of the sentence grammar. Parenthetical comments are punctuated with commas or parentheses. There is no difference in meaning between these:

and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it
    and (as deflated as the boat was) he could not control it
    Thanks for the explanation. Then How could I interpret the phrase?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    If it is a parenthetical phrase, then it adds information without affecting the sentence grammar.

The breeze was taking to the opposite, uninhabited side of the lake and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it to get back.
    In this sentence, the underlined parenthetical phrase explains why "he could not control it". There was no wind in the sails, and wind in the sails is what propels a sailboat. Here "deflated" means there was no wind in the sails.

chaenii92

Koerean
    If it is a parenthetical phrase, then it adds information without affecting the sentence grammar.

In this sentence, the underlined parenthetical phrase explains why "he could not control it". There was no wind in the sails, and wind in the sails is what propels a sailboat. Here "deflated" means there was no wind in the sails.
    I got the meaning. Thanks. Then is this below sentence right to understand?

The breeze was taking to the opposite, uninhabited side of the lake and, (he was) as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it to get back.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    No. He was not deflated. The boat was deflated.

Here the first "as" is similar in meaning to "so", but with a different grammar. The sentence (after "lake and") could be written:

The boat was so deflated that he could not control it to get back.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I read this sentence as missing a word:
    *The breeze was taking him to the opposite, uninhabited side of the lake and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it to get back.
    Also, only inflatable boats can become deflated. Sails can perhaps be deflated if there's no wind, but a wooden, fiberglass, or metal boat can't be deflated.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    and, as deflated as the boat was, he could not control it to get back.
    The construction "as <adjective> as <the noun> was..." should be understood as "as <adjective> as the <noun> was and it[=the noun] was indeed <adjective>..." - it is merely emphatic.

< Previous | Next >