as degrading a cocktail of over-priced cliche

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From Movie <The Hippopotamus>,
Jane invites Ted to her home.
Ted- Jane's home lived up to my ripest expectations. As degrading a cocktail of over-priced cliche can be found outside Beverly Hills.

I don't understand his second sentence, what is he trying to say?
He's a poet in the film, everything he says is really hard to understand, he likes to use rare words and phrases, ugh...
Thank you.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think there's a word missed out: As degrading a cocktail of over-priced cliche as can be found outside Beverly Hills.

Cocktail = mixture of different things (here it's different styles of architecture and decor)
    Over-priced = too expensive
    Cliché = habitual, trite statements
    Beverly Hills = area of Hollywood where film stars live

It means "nowhere can such a tasteless mixture of home design be found, except among rich film stars".

kentix

English - U.S.
    Well done, Keith. Now explain this. :)

Jane's home lived up to my ripest expectations.

kentix

English - U.S.
    But I'm not absolutely sure I've ever heard that before. It doesn't appear in the COCA. It doesn't appear in Google except as the quote from the original OP (and this page :)).

DavidSco

English - Scotland
    Hi, first post here. Hope it is useful :)

"Ripe" is often used in the sense of acting, though also of writing or even someone's personal characteristics. Whilst being ripe, like with a piece of fruit, or a cheese, is generally a desirable thing, the implication in the usage is of something "over-ripe", which has started to become soft, over-coloured and quite possibly started to smell a bit. In acting, a performance which is overblown, excessive, exaggerated; and in that, frequently becoming ludicrous, even embarrassing.

So "ripest expectations" here means the utmost of what Ted expected with the implication that what he expected was overblown and excessive. The detail of which is expanded upon in the following sentence. "Degrading" meaning that what Jane presumably thinks is tasteful and decorative in fact makes her look common and unsophisticated.

As for Stephen Fry, the author, many might consider him (possibly including Stephen Fry himself) as something of a ripe old fruit.

< Previous | Next >