as discussed on the phone/As expected

Steven_

Chinese-China
I have problem parsing the sentence below:

-As discussed on the phone, we are going to ship your parts on Tuesday("as" here denotes " according to")

-The TPP, as expected, was signed by US representative and along with representatives from other 11 countries.

"As" is a preposition, there is not supposed to be a past particle followed by whereby the usages above are usually used. Is there any omission in them?

My idea is,

Option 1: As (was) discussed on the phone, we are going to ship your parts on Tuesday
Option 2: As (we) discussed on the phone, we are going to ship your parts on Tuesday

The TPP, as(is) expected, was signed by US representative and along with representatives from other 11 countries.

Should this sort of omission be legitimate? I looked up in the grammar book but found no source justified it.

• CasparWeinburger

English--Canada
    In option 1 and 2: We do not know if it is (was) or (we).

However, I think 2 is most likely, but I can imagine option 1 in some rare cases, such as conference calls, in which many people discuss a matter and listen to the discussion on the phone, and those people may not be the same ones who are right now on the phone. In other words, some people in conference calls listen and do not speak, so option 1 would apply to them since they did not actually discuss anything, but rather just listen into the call.

The TPP, as was expected (by everyone), was signed by US...

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Option 1: As (was) discussed on the phone, we are going to ship your parts on Tuesday.
    Option 2: As (we) discussed on the phone, we are going to ship your parts on Tuesday.

The TPP, as (is) expected, was signed by the US representative and along with representatives from 11 other 11 countries.
    The sentences were correct as first written (except for the changes I've indicated in the one about the signing). The words you have inserted in parentheses are completely unnecessary and, in the case of the TPP sentence, wrong (it would have to be "was", since the signing already took place).

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    How come this omission is legitimate?
    There is no omission. "As" + past participle is an established and standard construction in English.
    "As" is a preposition, there is not supposed to be a past particle ...
    In the sentences you've quoted, "as" is not a preposition; it's an adverb. See the WR dictionary, 'as', definition 4, with the example 'She sang as promised'.

Ws

< Previous | Next >