as disheveled as: 'I' or 'Me'

< Previous | Next >

leetaicho

Mexican Spanish
I'd like to know when it is correct to use I or me as the situation demands.

For example, if I say:

That is a very expensive necklace, it doesn't suit someone as disheveled as I.

Is it the same as:

That is a very expensive necklace, it doesn't suit someone as disheveled as me.

It's just that I have occasionally seen that it isn't correct to use 'me', but it wasn't explicit as for the reason why.

• Loob

English UK
    I'd like to know when it is correct to use I or me as the situation demands.

For example, if I say:

Is it the same as:

It's just that I have occasionally seen that it isn't correct to use 'me', but it wasn't explicit as for the reason why.
    There are lots of previous threads, leetaicho.

Formal:

Formal and informal:
    That is a very expensive necklace, it doesn't suit someone as disheveled as I am.

Informal:

Forero

In a formal context, I would only use Loob's "Formal and informal" version. Leaving I stranded without a verb jars my senses. To me, the first version (ending in I) is confusing because I am tempted to read it as "It doesn't suit someone as disheveled as I do." Then I have to ask myself "What?", and then back track and imagine an am. That really only takes me a few of milliseconds, but making the am explicit saves me both the jarred senses and the back tracking.

< Previous | Next >