As exams were nearing/ getting closer/getting nearer I became very tensed

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
As exams were nearing/ getting closer/getting nearer I became very tensed.
As the date of the performance was nearing/ getting closer/ getting nearer I became very tensed.

Exams are near, very close .

For me all the verbs are appropriate in these situation. But in one of my earlier post I was told nearing cannot be used without an object.
I want the valuable suggestion of the native speakers here.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You can use the verb "to near" without an object, but it's old-fashioned/literary.

"As my exams drew near, I grew very tense" is fine. I wouldn't use the continuous form of the verb with "as" here, since the parallelism of "drew near" and "grew/became" is better.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    You can use the verb "to near" without an object, but it's old-fashioned/literary.

"As my exams drew near, I grew very tense" is fine. I wouldn't use the continuous form of the verb with "as" here, since the parallelism of "drew near" and "grew/became" is better.
    What is the good point guys? Sorry to say I understood very little . Is there any wrong with my sentences.

What is wrong with "Exam is near" need to study hard. can I use either of "Got near" or " got close" in place of Draw near.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The exams are near/very close. You need a determiner because they are specific exams (you can use either "the exams" or "my exams").

The exams got near/close. "Got" is more colloquial, but the sentence is not very idiomatic.

The exams drew near.
    This sounds a little more formal, and it is more suitable if you want to use it in an essay.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Not a very noticeable rhyme really, since neither "drew" nor "grew" is stressed and the rhythm is different. I just said it out loud and it doesn't bother me.

It's a good point though: when we write prose we try to avoid using phrases that rhyme. It is considered bad style.

< Previous | Next >