As exciting as anything

Amarillide

Italian
Hello everyone!
Here is my doubt.

I have heard this phrase: "the experimental process is as exciting as anything in the study of nature"...
What does it exactly mean in Italian?
I am not sure if it means that it is something exciting as everything else is exciting in nature (so that in Italian I would say: è eccitante/emozionante come tutto ciò che riguarda lo studio della natura).
Or if it means that it is something extremely exciting in the field of the study of nature (so that in Italian I would say: una cosa eccitantissima nel campo dello studio della natura).
Or maybe there is another possible meaning that I overlooked.

I hope my question sounds clear enough and that someone will be able to help me!
Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Amarillide

Italian
    Salve

La tua domanda non è impostata nella maniera corretta..
    Se vuoi tradurre dall'italiano all'inglese, devi anche fornirci la frase italiana che stai traducendo e non chiederci cosa noi pensiamo che voglia dire la frase che tu hai scritto in inglese

Cosa significa "aggiungere il contesto"?
    Come e in che forum creare - modificare - impostare correttamente una discussione
    Scusate non mi sono espressa bene, io voglio capire cosa significa in italiano... "if I say" forse è stato un po' misleading, avrei dovuto scrivere "If someone says"...

Amarillide

Italian
    Yes, but is not that clear to me, it still leaves my answer open.
    I was hoping for a mother tongue to give me his opinion...

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi Amarillide,

Your example is actually rather different than the "as fun as anything" thread, because of the in that comes after anything. It sounds like it means neither emozionante come tutto ciò che riguarda lo studio della natura (that would be "as exciting as everything [else]") nor eccitantissima nel campo dello studio della natura (the sentence would have to end after "anything"), but rather expresses the idea that there are many things about studying nature that are exciting, and that the experimental process is among these exciting things.

You can compare it to the three following sentences: the chase scene was as exciting as everything in the movie (everything in the movie was exciting) / the chase scene was as exciting as anything! (the chase scene was super-exciting--no comment on the rest of the movie) / the chase scene was as exciting as anything else in the movie (unless you're saying this sarcastically, and the whole movie was uniformly boring, the movie had several exciting scenes and the chase scene was one of them).

< Previous | Next >