"As far as I am concerned, she is dead"

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
"As far as I am concerned, she is dead"
the meaning of "concerned" in this sentence is worried or interested ???

Thanks.

• interested :) Though I wouldn't say as far as I'm interested. Perhaps it's correct too but I most often hear as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want to use that one, you can always say to my mind, in my opinion, I think etc.
    You're welcome

timpeac

English (England)
    Yes, James is probably right - I was reading it too literally. It could also mean "as far as I am affected", "as far as this has an impact on me".

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    James may be right, but there is at least one other possible meaning, consistent with Tim's first reply: I have decided not to acknowledge her existence, so she may as well be dead as regards the attention I will give her.

"As far as I'm concerned" ~ For all I may care..../ in my opinion.../from my perspective..../etc.

suzi br

English / England
    You usually hear this as an idiomatic phrase, and it usually means "it is my opinion" when there is an emotional angle to the issue. It is usually used when the speaker is being dismissive of the person or thing being discussed and could be glossed with "I don't care ... "

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    here does it mean in my opinion :
    "The preliminary examination is finished as far as I am concerned…"
    It looks more like "as I know ", Doesn't it ??

timpeac

English (England)
    roniy said:
    here does it mean in my opinion :
    "The preliminary examination is finished as far as I am concerned…"
    It looks more like "as I know ", Doesn't it ??
    No - in fact here you would probably assume that the examination isn't finished. I would understand this something like

Although some people may wish to continue wasting their time with the preliminary examination, for me it is already conclusive so I will not spend any more time looking at it.

I.C.

D
    My view would be:
    As far as matters concern me, she might as well be dead.
    (It doesn't matter to me what she does, it's none of my business, I don't care.)

nycphotography

American English
    In this case the "as far as I'm concerned..." prefix is a idiomatic, usually frustrated/exasperated way of saying that something isn't really true, but that you are done with it.

It's actually saying that the trailing cluase is NOT true, but that from this point forward, you will be conducting yourself as if it were. Your mind is made up, and you are not looking to reconsider.

An alternate turn of phrase from an Eminem lyric:

Well, guess what, I am dead. Dead to you as can be.

In this case, he's saying "As far are YOU are concerned, I'm dead. I don't exist. Forget you ever knew me."

< Previous | Next >